In celebration of the fortieth anniversary of For Better or For Worse, we thought we would take a look at what life was like at the time Lynn produced her original comic strips.
1979 was a year on the cusp of change. Lynn had already completed several collections of her comic panels centered around marriage and parenthood, and Universal Press Syndicate was about to launch For Better or For Worse on Sept. 9.
Here is a quick look at what 1979 looked like!
Marriage & Families:
Average Age: 24 (men) 22 (women)
Divorce Rate: 7.02 divorces for every 1000 marriages
Average Family Size in Canada: 2.78 people
Life Expectancy in Canada: 78.59 years (women) , 71.32 years (men)
Minimum wage in Canada: $2.90/hour
The Average Household Income: $53,589
The Average Individual Income: $22,986
Popular careers: Traditional jobs like construction for men and office work for women were still common, but tech careers were relatively new, with businesses slowly making the move to computer technology.
Average Cost for a Car: $5,920
Most Popular Car: Oldsmobile Cutlass
Songs & TV:
5 Most Popular Songs
- My Sharona – The Knack
- Bad Girls – Donna Summer
- Le Freak – Chic
- Da Ya Think I’m Sexy – Rod Stewart
- Reunited – Peaches and Herb
5 Most Popular TV Shows
- 60 Minutes
- Three’s Company
- That’s Incredible!
5 Most Popular Names for a Boy
Most Popular Names for a Girl
Popular fads of the 1970s included
- Disco music and Dancing
- Video games (Pong, then Atari Home system)
- C.B. Radio
- Pet Rocks
- Bell bottom pants and butterfly collar shirts
- Mood rings
- Shag carpeting
10 Events that that happened in 1979…
- UN declares 1979 to be the International Year of the Child
- Voyager 1 sends back pictures of Jupiter’s rings
- Oil reaches a record high of $24/barrel
- Margaret Thatcher elected Prime minister of UK on May 3
- Board game Trivial Pursuit is launched
- Sahara desert has 30 minutes of snow
- Montreal Canadiens winners of Stanley Cup over NY Rangers
- The first functional space shuttle, Columbia, is prepared for its first mission at Kennedy Space Center in Florida
- Joe Clark is voted in as the 16th Prime Minister of Canada
- For Better or For Worse debuts!